Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sam's Almost Three!

 Sam's third birthday is tomorrow. On Saturday, we had a joint birthday party with his friend, Luke, at the Grosse Pointe Farms park. Our theme was "construction on the beach" because it was a simple way to get them together, give them some sand toys, play, eat cake, and be done :) 




My job was food and cake, so I called Jolynne, the Cake Queen of our family, last week and she helped me come up with some ideas.  It turned out pretty cute!



I didn't originally intend to have a cliff in my cake, but it came out with a huge bump in the middle, so I said, "that looks like a cliff" and carved a bit out.  I also had made some cupcakes, but I burned them all, so I cut off the bottoms and they were the perfect height to go around the side of the cake.  So the kids got pull-apart cupcakes and the adults had sliced cake.  It worked out perfectly!


We were lucky to have an indian summer and the weather was absolutely beautiful--75 degrees with a very slight breeze and sunny all day!

Eric didn't get cake, but I don't think he minded--he had eaten plenty of sand by that point.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jenn Knight said...

Oh my goodness!! I love that cake! I'm so impressed. What a great idea for a party, and what a great DAY for a party. Eric is growing up so fast... I can't believe how much he looks like Sam. Wow. Anyway, congrats on a job well-done! Oh, and happy birthday to Sam!